Region 6 has developed two unique partnerships with members across our region to support the mission of NNLM: to provide U.S. researchers, health professionals, public health workforce, educators, and the public with equal access to biomedical and health information resources and data.
Partner Outreach Program (POP)
The purpose of the NNLM Region 6 Partner Outreach Program 2021-2026 is to support health equity by providing health information access throughout Region 6 by the formation and practice of the Partner Outreach Program (POP). POP objectives include the following:
- Provide health information resources and training to underserved and underrepresented groups, including tribal communities and institutions, that are priority populations of the National Library of Medicine (NLM).
- Act as ambassadors for NNLM services and resources, communicating health information needs to the RML, and work with the RML in remediation of those needs, whether through direct training or utilizing a train-the-trainer model.
- Act as a field force in their state to identify potential partners for outreach.
Our POP Ambassador Organizations
- Cedar Falls Public Library (IA) (Paused for Year 3)
- Ebling Library, University of Wisconsin-Madison (WI)
- Fox River Valley Public Library District (IL)
- Geneseo Public Library District (IL) (Paused for Year 3)
- Medical College of Wisconsin Libraries (WI)
- Trinity Health Western Michigan (MI)
- Northeast Ohio Black Health Coalition (NEOBHC) (OH)
- Restored Visions (OH)
- Ruth Lilly Medical Library, Indiana University School of Medicine (IN)
- Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Medical Library (IL)
- The Ohio State University Health Sciences Library (OH)
- University of Cincinnati Health Sciences Library (OH)
- University of Illinois Chicago – Library of the Health Sciences (IL)
- University of Iowa – Hardin Library for the Health Sciences (IA)
- University of Minnesota Health Sciences Library (MN)
State Advisory Groups (SAG)
The purpose of Region 6 State Advisory Groups (SAG) is to provide leadership guidance for each state’s outreach and engagement activities conducted by Region 6 staff and Partner Outreach Program (POP) members. The SAG charge is two-fold:
- To guide the development and implementation of an action plan for each state in Region 6 that addresses how NNLM can support specific health disparities identified as priorities for that state, with a focus on medically underserved populations.
- To develop strategic recommendations, programs, and relationships that advance the health of communities through equal access to biomedical and health information resources and data.
Specifically, members of the Advisory Group will provide three core services:
- Identify Opportunities
- Provide input on communities that would most benefit from NNLM and NLM products and services
- Recommend organizations to join NNLM
- Offer ideas and input on potential partnerships with organizations in the state
- Advise on potential conferences, health fairs, or other public events that would benefit from an NNLM Region 6 presence
- Provide Feedback
- Review and offer guidance on effective messaging and outreach from R6
- Develop recommendations for ongoing communications across the state from R6
- Consult with R6 on the development and implementation of any state-wide assessments
- Align Activities
- Decide on select priority health topics for the state that align with NNLM initiatives and priorities
- Develop state action plan to guide Region 6 training, funding, and engagement activities