This class is closed to new registrants as of August 30th, 2023 and remains active for current students already enrolled in the online class.
For new learners, a new version is available beginning September 5, 2023. Register for the new version: Assessing Health Education Materials: clearing the way to easy-to-read health materials
Why is it important to assess health education materials? What types of health education assessment tools are available? Get an overview on assessing health materials, and learn how the National Library of Medicine uses a health education materials assessment tool to figure out if health education materials are easy-to-read. Then, try out the tool on your own and download the free NNLM Health Literacy Playbook, checklists and other health literacy resources.
This class is designed for anyone who creates health education materials or selects health materials to provide to consumers. It’s also useful for anyone who wants to learn how to figure out if health education materials are easy-to-read. The class is fully online and asynchronous, which means you’ll work at your own pace until you finish. Content is presented through a 90 minute tutorial and handouts.
- Why it’s important to assess health education materials
- What types of assessment tools are available
- How NLM developed its assessment tool and what the tool includes
- How to use NLM’s tool to figure out if health education materials are easy-to-read
- Explain the benefits of assessing health education materials
- Briefly describe how NLM's tool is different from other assessment tools
- Use NLM's tool to assess whether health education materials are easy-to-read