Numeracy is the ability to access, use, interpret, and communicate mathematical information and ideas, to engage in and manage mathematical demands of a range of situations in adult life. (CDC, 2021). Numeracy literacy can be a challenge not only for individuals receiving health information, but also for those providing information. This 90 minute/1.5 credit hour webinar is an introduction to communicating numerical health information. It is designed for anyone who wants to improve communication of health information that involves numeracy and communicating numbers.
After completing this class participants will be able to:
- Define numeracy, risk, outcome, benefit, statistics, relative risk, and absolute risk as they relate to numerical health information
- Explain risk and benefit (numeracy) of health information from an individual’s perspective
- Interpret and evaluate numerical health information
- Communicate numerical health information to others
- Recognize Medline plus as a resource for numerical health information