This presentation meets the NLM/NIH strategic plan goal of building a workforce for data-driven research and health in order to address increasing health information access and use.
The importance and relevance of health statistics in various contexts will be discussed. Participants will have the opportunity to become familiar with the features and scope of several statistics Internet resources through the use of numerous exercises.
Agenda for 90-minute webinar:
Introduction (5 minutes)
Statistics Overview (10 minutes)
- Data vs. Statistics
- Key Features of Health Statistics
- Uses of Health Statistics
Steps to Finding Health Statistics and Guided Exercise Part 1 (5 minutes)
Sources of Health Statistics (40 minutes)
- Portals: National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), MedlinePlus
- National: The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), State Health Facts
- Local: Census, County Health Rankings, City Health Dashboard, RHIHub
Guided Exercise Part 2 (15 minutes)
Share back/Wrap Up/Questions (15 minutes)
By registering for this class, you are agreeing to the NNLM Code of Conduct
- Recognize the differences between data, data sets, and statistics.
- Understand the 4-step process used to locate relevant health statistics for a particular circumstance or issue.
- Identify online resources that provide data sets and statistics at the local, state and national level
Health Statistics on the Web (PowerPoint)