This 9-week class covers the basics of programming in Python for data science projects in health sciences. It includes a general look at data science and algorithmic concepts as well as specific topics in coding, namely the understanding and tools needed to clean data, create data visualizations, and share reproducible results. Learners will be asked to perform these tasks for a final project, which focuses on a provided dataset relating to health research. The class experience is largely asynchronous, though learners will be expected to meet online a few times during the course to discuss class materials and their final project ideas.
Upon completion of the Fundamentals of Health Data Science, learners will be able to do the following:
- Employ analytical thinking to solve data science problems with step-by-step procedures.
- Prepare data using ethical practices to maintain research integrity and avoid bias.
- Use Python programming techniques to clean and analyze datasets.
- Communicate results to stakeholders using best practices for visualizing and reporting data.
- Explain the importance of reproducibility in working with data and sharing research results.